CyberGhost provides many benefits including very fast server speeds and a vast network of servers. Despite this, you may have found that it doesn’t quite fit your needs. For example, it’s one of many VPNs that struggles to evade censorship (such as in China). Whatever the case, the good news is that there are some excellent CyberGhost alternatives. We’ll cover each of these VPNs in this post, detailing their features as well as their unique pros and cons.
Need to make a quick decision? Here’s a quick summary of the best CyberGhost alternatives. If you need to find out more, you can always revisit the more in-depth reviews included further below.
- NordVPN: The best CyberGhost alternative. Over 5,000 servers and fast speeds for streaming. Audited no-logs policy. Specialty P2P servers and 24/7 support included.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Very fast with servers in 100 countries. Works with more than 30 Netflix libraries. Unlimited simultaneous connections and MultiHop servers.
- ExpressVPN: Unlimited bandwidth and servers in 94 countries. Excellent 24-hour live chat and email support. Strong unblocking and doesn’t keep identifying logs of users.
- IPVanish: Connect as many devices as you like at once. High-speed servers and compatible with Netflix US. Strong security with encryption and a kill switch feature.
- PrivateVPN: Reliable unblocker of region-locked content. User-friendly desktop and mobile apps. Free remote help and installation available. Has a strict no-logs policy.
- Atlas VPN: Fast enough for lag-free streaming in 4K. Works with popular streaming services. No connection limit and has MultiHop servers. Live chat support, 24/7.
- Private Internet Access: Offers servers in 80+ countries and no bandwidth throttling. Secures data with military-grade encryption. Unlimited connections.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP CYBERGHOST ALTERNATIVE RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated as the #1 CyberGhost alternative with no restrictions for a month—plenty of time to find out if it’s more suitable.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
In order to identify the best CyberGhost alternatives, we looked for those that provide all of the following features (CyberGhost also offers such features):
- Global network of servers covering dozens of countries
- Fast and unthrottled connections for streaming
- High level of security with military-grade encryption
- Strict no-logs policy that protects your privacy
- Live chat and email support around the clock
- Risk-free with a money-back guarantee of 30+ days
Best CyberGhost alternatives
Here’s our list of the best CyberGhost alternatives:
NordVPN has a generous server network that consists of more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries. It allows you to access your favorite websites and services from home while traveling abroad. Thanks to its strong unblocking ability, it works with even the most difficult-to-unblock streaming services. This includes Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, and Hulu. NordVPN is one of the fastest VPNs you can use and with unlimited bandwidth, you can stream lag-free.
With a NordVPN account, you can connect six devices at the same time. You’ll also have access to 24-hour support via live chat and email as well as specialty servers including P2P. There’s no shortage of security features either with 256-bit AES encryption, protection from DNS and IPV6 leaks, and a kill switch. For an extra layer of protection, you can use a Double VPN server for two layers of encryption. Last but not least, NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy which has been independently audited by Deloitte.
If you choose NordVPN, you’ll have access to its apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. NordVPN can be manually configured to work with compatible routers and it also has browser extensions (available for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge).
- Large network of more than 5,000 servers
- Very fast speeds coupled with unlimited bandwidth
- Strong unblocking of popular streaming services
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Specialty P2P and Onion Over VPN servers available
- 24/7 support via live chat as well as email
BEST CYBERGHOST ALTERNATIVE:NordVPN is our top choice. It has more than 5,000 servers available and its fast speeds make it suitable for streaming and torrenting. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support and security features including Double VPN servers. You can try NordVPN risk-free because it includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
SAVE up to 63% + 3 months FREE
Discount applied automatically
Surfshark stands out for offering servers in 100 countries. This is more countries than any other VPN on this list (and even more than CyberGhost). Not only this, but Surfshark offers high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth so there’s no limit as to what you can do online while connected. Many VPNs struggle to work with Netflix but this isn’t the case for Surfshark which was able to securely access over 30 Netflix libraries in our tests.
This VPN operates a no-logs policy and secures data with 256-bit AES encryption. You can also expect DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and even MultiHop servers. Surfshark One is an optional add-on which includes an antivirus and privacy-focused search engine. The apps are very easy to use but you can still contact live chat and email support any time if you need help. With Surfshark, you can connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
Surfshark provides apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. Surfshark is compatible with select wifi routers but this requires manual configuration.
- Has servers in 100 countries worldwide
- Fast speeds for streaming lag and buffer-free
- Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously
- Works with over 30 Netflix libraries
- MultiHop servers for extra security
- Sometimes slow to connect to servers
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark offers servers in 100 countries and works with over 30 Netflix libraries in all. High-speed servers and unlimited simultaneous connections. A no-logs service with MultiHop servers and 24/7 live chat support available. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
Discount applied automatically
ExpressVPN was founded in 2009 and has long been one of the top-rated VPNs on the market. This is in part due to its excellent server network (3,000+ servers in 94 countries) which is ideal if you regularly travel overseas and need to bypass content restrictions. Unlimited bandwidth lets you stream without performance issues and indeed ExpressVPN is compatible with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more. You can also use ExpressVPN on up to five of your devices at once.
Your data is very much secured with ExpressVPN thanks to its use of 256-bit AES encryption. Aside from this, there’s DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, and a kill switch. It also doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user. When combined with an anonymous payment method such as Bitcoin, you can better protect your online privacy. ExpressVPN’s customer support is particularly good and is available 24 hours a day.
Connect to ExpressVPN servers via apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. If you prefer, you can use a browser extension for Chrome or take advantage of ExpressVPN’s custom firmware to use the VPN with your wireless router.
- Global network of servers (3,000+ in 94 countries)
- Absolutely no bandwidth throttling
- Highly consistent with the likes of Netflix and Prime Video
- Beginner-friendly with easy-to-use apps and 24/7 support
- Strong security thanks to military-grade encryption
- One of the more expensive VPNs available
ROUTER-FRIENDLY:ExpressVPN has a large server network covering 94 countries. It’s also fast and works with streaming services such as Netflix. Excellent customer support 24 hours a day. Highly secure and router-compatible with custom firmware. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
Coupon applied automatically
IPVanish lets you secure as many devices as you like at the same time. It now offers some 2,000 servers and 40,000+ IP addresses. Needless to say, there’s usually a server close to your physical location for a more consistent connection. There’s absolutely no bandwidth throttling and it even works with Netflix US — a service that many VPNs fail to access. IPVanish is suitable for streaming and ranks among the faster VPNs we’ve tested.
All of your data is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel, securing it from hackers and snoopers. Should the VPN connection drop, a kill switch serves to cut traffic and prevent any data from being exposed, in addition to DNS leak protection. Its no-logs policy has been independently audited and verified by a third-party firm. While IPVanish makes setup very simple, help is at hand via live chat and email around the clock. You’ll also find step-by-step setup guides.
- More than fast enough for streaming Netflix US in 4K
- Allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- No-logs policy has been independently audited
- Security includes encryption and a no-logs policy
- Doesn’t offer browser extensions
- Headquartered in the US which is a Five Eyes member
NO DEVICE LIMIT:IPVanish has fast servers and a growing server network spread across dozens of countries. Stream Netflix US without lag or buffering. Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously. No-logs policy and 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
Discount applied automatically
PrivateVPN is a smaller VPN provider that consistently unblocks the most popular streaming platforms. In all, there are only 200+ servers available but these are spread across more than 60 countries. Furthermore, the speeds offered make PrivateVPN ideal for more bandwidth-intensive activities such as streaming and playing online games. It has been found to work reliably with the likes of Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and more.
This VPN has beginner-friendly apps but should you have any trouble while using it, you can contact live chat or email support. What’s unique about PrivateVPN is that it doesn’t outsource its customer support to a third party and it even offers free remote help and installation. When it comes to security and privacy, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch feature. The no-logs policy is comprehensive in that PrivateVPN doesn’t even keep basic connection logs.
Secure up to 10 devices at once with PrivateVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. PrivateVPN provides the necessary guidance and support to set up VPN-compatible routers.
- Fast VPN for streaming, torrenting, and online gaming
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more
- Comprehensive no-logs policy (no connection logs)
- Free remote help and installation available
- Much smaller network of servers (approximately 200)
- Live chat support isn’t available 24 hours a day
STRONG UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN excels at bypassing content restrictions and provides fast and consistent connections. User-friendly apps and high-quality customer support. Protects privacy with its no-logs policy and uses high-end encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Discount applied automatically
Atlas VPN averaged 258 Mbps in our most recent speed tests, which makes it one of the fastest VPNs you can use. It has a modest network of approximately 750 servers spread across dozens of countries including the US and Canada. This makes it easy to securely access a wide range of geo-blocked content, be it Netflix or an online banking account. Better still, there’s no limit on the number of devices you can connect simultaneously.
If you connect to an Atlas VPN MultiHop server, you’ll receive multiple layers of encryption for even greater security. However, you may not need this because data is protected by 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS leaks. While Atlas VPN is headquartered in the US, it has a no-logs policy so there shouldn’t be any identifying information to provide even if it were to be requested. Live chat support is available 24/7 and there’s even an ad and malware blocker.
Atlas VPN has apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS). You’ll also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV, but it lacks browser extensions and support for routers.
- One of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested
- Use it to secure all of your devices at the same time
- MultiHop servers for several layers of encryption
- Offers an ad, tracker, and malware blocker
- Relatively small server network
- Doesn’t provide router support
PACKED WITH FEATURES:Atlas VPN is fast for lag-free streaming and low ping gaming. Unlimited devices per account and lots of security extras including MultiHop servers and an ad blocker. No-logs service with live chat support, 24/7. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
SAVE 83% on a 2 year plan
Coupon applied automatically
Private Internet Access servers can be found in more than 80 countries. It’s more than capable if you regularly travel abroad. Aside from its unblocking ability, PIA has unlimited bandwidth and can be used to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+ without lag. With a PIA account, you can secure an unlimited number of devices at once (many VPNs only allow up to five).
When it comes to security, 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch protect you from threats. PIA doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users either. PIA has a split tunneling feature that allows you to choose which websites and apps can bypass the VPN connection. 24-hour support is always available by both live chat and email.
Private Internet Access has apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Opera browser extensions are available (although these only encrypt browser traffic) while a connection can also be configured on compatible wifi routers.
- Servers available in 80+ countries
- Works with streaming services including Netflix
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Plenty of extra features including split tunneling
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App design is a little cluttered
SERVERS IN 80+ COUNTRIES:Private Internet Access provides a global network of servers as well as consistent connections. You can use it on all of your devices at once. Keeps you safe online with encryption and has a split tunneling feature. 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Private Internet Access Coupon
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 3 months free
Discount applied automatically
How to use a CyberGhost alternative VPN
If you’ve already used CyberGhost, the good news is that the process of setting up one of the best alternatives is much the same. To make things even quicker and easier, we’ve provided a set of step-by-step instructions below.
Here’s how you can use the best CyberGhost alternatives:
- Sign up with one of the best CyberGhost alternatives. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download the VPN app that’s compatible with your device. The VPNs recommended in this post allow multiple simultaneous connections.
- Install the VPN app and log in. You can now connect to a server in your preferred location (such as a server in the US for a US IP address).
- You’ve now changed your IP address, which should allow you to unblock geo-restricted content. Furthermore, data you send and receive is encrypted.
- Can’t unblock a particular website or service? Try clearing your cookies before reloading your browser. Otherwise, you may need to switch servers or contact your VPN’s support for further assistance.
Finding the best CyberGhost alternatives: our methodology
Below we’ll explain our methodology for finding the best CyberGhost alternatives. We take a variety of factors into account including server locations, connection speed, and overall level of security. In doing so, we’re able to narrow the options down by ruling out those that lack in key areas.
- Servers worldwide: CyberGhost has one of the largest server networks of any VPN and we aimed to find those with comparable networks. Most have thousands of servers across dozens of countries. You’ll be able to find a fast server close to your location and access a wide range of geo-blocked content.
- Speed: Several of the VPNs included in this post make our list of the fastest VPNs available. If you’re switching from CyberGhost to an alternative VPN, you won’t necessarily be sacrificing speed. All of the VPNs covered performed well in our speed tests and offer unlimited bandwidth which allows for lag-free streaming.
- Unblocking: A lot of VPNs struggle to unblock content, particularly streaming services. We test each VPN against a wide range of content to see how well it can access to streaming services, social media platforms, news sites, and more.
- Security: Some of the best CyberGhost alternatives offer even more security features including Double VPN servers, an ad blocker, or antivirus. At the very least, we look for those that use encryption and offer DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
- Privacy: Any quality privacy-focused VPN will encrypt your data, hiding it from hackers and snoopers. However, it will also operate a no-logs policy (and, at the very least, not keep any identifying logs of users). To find VPNs that allow for online anonymity (and to avoid those that don’t!), we studied over 140 VPN logging policies.
- Ease of use: CyberGhost isn’t the only beginner-friendly VPN on the market. We test each VPN’s apps, making sure setup is simple. In fact, we even check the response time of each VPN to live chat and email enquiries. The VPNs found in this post provide support 24 hours a day and also have plenty of resources such as setup guides.
- Value for money: The best CyberGhost alternatives offer comparable plans and prices, all of which offer value for money. You can even save a little extra by taking advantage of the discount coupons in this post. Better still, all of the aforementioned VPNs are risk-free because they all include money-back guarantees of at least 30 days.
The above is just some of what we look for when we assess each VPN service. Our VPN testing methodology post goes into further detail regarding how we test each VPN when it comes to speed, security, and more.
Best CyberGhost alternatives: FAQs
Are there any free CyberGhost alternatives?
There are a lot of free VPNs, but none of them are worthy of being called “a CyberGhost alternative”. CyberGhost is known for its large server network and fast server speeds. Free VPNs offer very few server locations and IP addresses, limiting the content you can access. They also throttle your bandwidth, preventing you from being able to properly stream, torrent, or play online games.
CyberGhost (and the best CyberGhost alternatives) offers top-notch security with high-end encryption. Unfortunately, some free VPNs claim to offer such protection but fail to live up to their promises. This may result in your data and identity becoming compromised. Some free VPNs make money by logging your data and selling this information to third parties. In contrast, CyberGhost and top alternatives such as NordVPN operate no-logs policies.
Is it legal to use a VPN?
There are very few countries in which VPNs are illegal. In fact, even in countries in which many VPNs have been banned (such as China and Russia), they’re not outright illegal. As such, you should be able to legally use a VPN in almost any location. However, we recommend you check your local country’s laws before doing so if you have any doubts. It’s also important to know that any illegal activities conducted while using a VPN are still illegal regardless of the protection provided. For example, torrenting copyrighted material without the necessary permissions is still infringement.