Hulu is a popular streaming service but, unfortunately, it’s only available in the US. Copyright and licensing restrictions dictate that Hulu must ensure its content is inaccessible from abroad. It does this by looking at your IP address and its corresponding geographical location. For this reason, you may come across a Hulu proxy error like this:
Error playing this video. You appear to be using an anonymous proxy tool. Disable it to play videos on Hulu.
The Hulu proxy error will typically appear because you’re using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access Hulu or because you’re accessing the streaming service from outside the US (or for both of these reasons). While the Hulu proxy error can be caused by a VPN, it’s also true that it can be fixed by using one. The key is finding a VPN service that works with the Hulu streaming platform.
We cover the best VPNs for fixing the Hulu proxy error further below. First, here’s a quick overview of each in case you’re looking to get back to streaming Hulu straight away:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for fixing the Hulu proxy error. Roughly 2,000 US servers. P2P and Onion Over VPN servers available. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support included.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Offers approximately 600 US servers. Works well with Hulu as well as Netflix. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Packed with security features.
- ExpressVPN: Plenty of US servers for accessing Hulu. Servers in 94 countries in all. No bandwidth throttling and doesn’t keep any identifying logs. Excellent customer support.
- CyberGhost: Fastest VPN we’ve tested. Stream Hulu in HD and 4K. 9,000 servers worldwide (1,300 in the US). 24/7 support. Windows security suite with antivirus.
- PrivateVPN: Works with Hulu, Netflix, and more. Servers in a dozen US cities including New York and Los Angeles. No-logs VPN with user-friendly apps and free remote help.
- AtlasVPN: Consistent unblocker of streaming platforms. Good speeds and can be used on an unlimited number of devices. MultiHop servers for an extra layer of security.
- Private Internet Access: Good speeds for streaming Hulu. Servers in over 50 US locations. Secure up to 10 of your devices at once. No-logs service with 24/7 support.
How to fix Hulu proxy error
While the Hulu proxy error is certainly frustrating, it’s actually quite quick and easy to fix. We’ve provided step-by-step instructions which should have you streaming Hulu in a matter of minutes.
Here’s how to fix the Hulu proxy error:
- Sign up with a VPN service that works well with Hulu. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app that’s compatible with your streaming device. All of the VPNs listed in this post let you connect multiple devices simultaneously
- Open the VPN app before connecting to a server in the US. This is necessary if you want to get a US IP address and unblock Hulu from any location.
- Go to Hulu and select your preferred content. You should no longer see the Hulu proxy error. If you’re still getting it, there are a few things you can try.
- Clear your cookies. Hulu may remember your old IP address. Failing this, connect to a different server before clearing your cookies again. If you’re still having trouble, it’s worth contacting your VPN’s customer support for further assistance.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Hulu with no restrictions for a month. This is great if you’re overseas for a few weeks but still want to access your Hulu subscription as normal.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs to fix Hulu proxy error
There are many VPNs on the market but not all of them are suitable for use with Hulu. Indeed, some are far too slow for streaming while others fail to unblock the streaming platform entirely. The best VPNs for fixing the Hulu proxy error all meet the following requirements:
- Servers (and IP addresses) that work with Hulu
- Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming
- Secures data with AES encryption
- Multiple simultaneous connections per account
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Risk-free with a money-back guarantee
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for fixing the Hulu proxy error:
NordVPN has long been the best VPN for unblocking Hulu. By connecting to one of its servers located in the US, you’ll be able to fix the Hulu proxy error. Overall, this VPN offers well over 5,000 servers worldwide, some 2,000 of which are in the US. Aside from Hulu, NordVPN works with Netflix in countries including the US. NordVPN had an average download speed of 369 Mbps in our latest speed tests. As such, it’s more than fast enough for streaming Hulu.
With NordVPN, there’s plenty of choice as to the type of server to which you connect. There are standard servers that are speed-optimized as well as specialty servers. The latter includes those optimized for P2P. Double VPN provides improved security and privacy. This is a no-logs service and has been independently audited by Deloitte to prove it. It uses 256-bit AES encryption and also offers a kill switch and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. 24/7 support is available via live chat and email.
You can secure up to six devices at once via NordVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Alternatively, you can use a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. Manual configuration is required to use it with routers.
- Approximately 2,000 servers in the US for accessing Hulu
- Very fast speeds resulting in lag and buffer-free streaming
- Specialty servers including P2P and Onion Over VPN
- No-logs policy that has been independently audited
- 24-hour live chat and email support
- Quite expensive monthly plans
BEST VPN TO FIX HULU PROXY ERROR:NordVPN is our top pick. It works with Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video, and more. Some 2,000 US servers and specialty P2P and Double VPN servers. Audited no-logs policy and has 24/7 support. Thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
SAVE up to 63% + 3 months FREE
Discount applied automatically
Surfshark is a highly reliable VPN for unblocking popular streaming services such as Hulu. Indeed, we’ve found it works well with lots of Netflix libraries, the US version of Netflix included. What’s particularly impressive is that Surfshark’s server network covers 100 countries — far more than most VPNs. There’s over 3,000 servers, some 600 of which are located in the US for quickly and easily fixing the Hulu proxy error. You can benefit from Surfshark’s fast, unthrottled connections when streaming.
Nord includes 24-hour customer support, although you may not need it because it’s very user-friendly. P2P and MultiHop servers are available and there’s even an ad and malware blocker. You can also expect essential security features including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. A strict no-logs policy is included. All of your devices can benefit from the aforementioned features because Surfshark permits unlimited simultaneous connections.
Surfshark apps are available for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. While compatible with select wifi routers, manual configuration is required.
- Works not only with Hulu but many Netflix libraries
- Servers are available in some 100 countries, the US included
- More than fast enough for streaming in HD and even 4K
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Extra security in the form of MultiHop servers
- Switching servers can sometimes be slow
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark easily bypasses the Hulu proxy error with its generous offering of 600 US servers. It provides fast speeds for streaming without lag or buffering. Connect all of your devices at the same time. Extra security features such as an ad blocker. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
Discount applied automatically
ExpressVPN is highly suitable for streaming content whether you’re at home or traveling abroad. With more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, it’s well placed to unblock a wide range of content, Hulu included. ExpressVPN has long worked well with Netflix as well. This VPN uses its own open-source protocol, Lightway, which provides high-speed connections. It offers unlimited bandwidth and, as such, you can expect strong streaming performance.
When you connect to an ExpressVPN server, your internet traffic is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. A kill switch cuts your internet traffic if the VPN connection drops. This is a particularly useful feature if you’re using public wifi which tends to be vulnerable to security threats. Aside from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified. If you have any questions, there’s 24-hour live chat and email support.
ExpressVPN provides desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS) apps. You can also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV as well as browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. ExpressVPN is particularly router-friendly with custom firmware.
- Generous network of 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth for seamless streaming of Hulu
- Highly secure with encryption and kill switch feature
- Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users
- One of the more expensive VPNs on the market
QUALITY CUSTOMER SUPPORT:ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries, the US included. Unblock Hulu and stream it lag-free thanks to unlimited bandwidth. Strong security thanks to high-end encryption. Excellent 24-hour support. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
Coupon applied automatically
CyberGhost is the fastest VPN we’ve tested and it also works well with Hulu as well as Netflix US. You can therefore stream Hulu content in high definition and even 4K, all without having to contend with lag or buffering. What’s also particularly noteworthy about CyberGhost is its generous server network. This consists of roughly 9,000 servers in 90+ countries, making it one of the largest server networks of any VPN. Of these servers, nearly 1,300 are located in the US.
This is a no-logs service that allows you to secure up to seven of your devices at the same time. While very easy to use, live chat and email support is available around the clock. CyberGhost is one of the safest VPN services on the market thanks to security features including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an automatic kill switch. Unlike most VPNs, it even offers a Windows security suite complete with antivirus and anti-malware.
You can access CyberGhost via its Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV apps. However, you may prefer to use a browser extension, in which case you can download one for Chrome or Firefox. While there’s no app for routers, a connection can be manually configured.
- Fastest speeds of any VPN we’ve tested
- Huge server network (some 9,000 servers in 90 countries)
- Secure up to seven of your devices at the same time
- Windows users gain access to an antivirus
- Unable to bypass restrictions in China
FASTEST VPN:CyberGhost is the fastest VPN we’ve tested. Stream Hulu in 4K (also works with Netflix US). Some 9,000 servers across more than 90 countries. Provides antivirus and anti malware for Windows. Also operates a strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
SAVE 83% on the 2 year plan + 3 months FREE
Discount applied automatically
PrivateVPN is particularly adept at bypassing restrictions of streaming services. Not only can you use it with Hulu, it works well with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and more. Speeds are more than fast enough for consistent streaming. Unlimited bandwidth makes PrivateVPN suitable for torrenting and online gaming. While it doesn’t have the largest server network (just over 200 servers), servers are available in a dozen US cities.
The PrivateVPN apps couldn’t be easier to use. It’s possible to connect to the fastest available server in a single click. Regardless, you’ll still have access to PrivateVPN’s live chat and email support as well as free remote help and installation. Security consists of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Notably, PrivateVPN operates a true no-logs policy in that, unlike many other VPNs, it doesn’t even keep connection logs.
PrivateVPN allows up to 10 simultaneous connections, all to unique IP addresses. You’ll find apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. If you prefer, you can manually configure PrivateVPN to work with select wireless routers.
- Very consistent unblocking of streaming services such as Hulu
- Servers are available in a dozen cities across the US
- Excellent support as well as remote help and installation
- True no-logs policy — doesn’t even keep connection logs
- Smaller network of servers (roughly 200)
- Live chat isn’t available 24 hours a day
POWERFUL UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN can be used to access many popular streaming services, be it Hulu or Netflix. Fast, consistent connections. User-friendly apps, fast customer support, and strong privacy protection with its no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Discount applied automatically
Atlas VPN works well with Hulu and other streaming services including Netflix and HBO Max. While it doesn’t have the largest server network (750 servers in a few dozen locations), there’s still more than enough servers for the number of users served. This is evident in its consistent performance. It averaged 247 Mbps in our latest speed tests. Like many of the fastest VPNs, it uses the WireGuard protocol. Atlas VPN also offers unlimited bandwidth.
Most VPNs allow a handful of simultaneous connections. However, Atlas VPN is ideal for sharing with family because it lets you connect as many devices as you like. Atlas VPN provides plenty of security features. Not only does it include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection, you’ll also find MultiHop servers for protecting traffic with multiple layers of encryption. You can maintain online anonymity with Atlas VPN because there aren’t any identifying logs.
Atlas VPN has no shortage of apps. You’ll be able to download and install it for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Unfortunately, there aren’t any browser extensions and it also states that it doesn’t support routers as yet.
- Use it to watch Hulu, Netflix, and more from abroad
- High-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- MultiHop servers should you need an extra layer of encryption
- Not the largest server network (700 or so servers)
- Operates out of the US which is a Five Eyes member
UNLIMITED DEVICES:Atlas VPN doesn’t limit the number of devices you can connect simultaneously. Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth allow you to stream Hulu lag-free. Lots of extra security features including MultiHop servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Atlas VPN Coupon
SAVE 83% on a 2 year plan
Coupon applied automatically
Private Internet Access provides high-speed connections, averaging 94 Mbps in our speed tests. This is fast enough for streaming Hulu in high resolution while not having to worry about performance issues. Servers are located across more than 80 countries. When it comes to US servers for fixing the Hulu proxy error, dozens of cities are covered including New York, Los Angeles, and Dallas. This makes it easier to find a fast server that’s closer to your physical location.
You can expect strong security with Private Internet Access which uses 256-bit AES encryption to secure your internet traffic. There’s also DNS leak protection and a kill switch as well as an optional add-on in the form of a Windows antivirus. Another optional extra is a Dedicated IP address. This is useful if you’re looking to avoid shared IP address blacklists, which may be why you can’t access Hulu in the first place. Last but not least, PIA operates a no-logs policy.
Protect all of your devices with PIA’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV (it allows up to 10 simultaneous connections). To use PIA with a compatible router, you’ll need to manually configure the connection.
- Good speeds for streaming Hulu
- Servers are available in dozens of cities in the US
- Keeps your data secure with AES encryption
- Allows up to 10 simultaneous connections
- Doesn’t work in China
- UI look a little cluttered
STRONG ALL-ROUNDER:Private Internet Access is able to bypass the Hulu proxy error and provides good speeds for streaming in high resolution. Operates a no-logs policy and has servers in dozens of US cities. Use it on 10 devices at once. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Private Internet Access Coupon
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 3 months free
Discount applied automatically
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs to fix Hulu proxy error
When it comes to testing VPNs, we have our own methodology that ensures we explore every avenue. This includes server speeds, security features, and user-friendliness of the VPN’s apps. Below, you can find out more about what we look for:
- Servers worldwide: Hulu is only available in the US which means that any VPN selected must have servers in that location. Fortunately, most VPNs have US-based servers. We look for each VPN to have servers across dozens of countries. This offers more flexibility when it comes to unblocking content and finding a fast server near you.
- Speed: Hulu recommends you have an internet speed of at least 16 Mbps for streaming 4K content. All of the best VPNs for fixing the Hulu proxy error far surpass this. We’ve found the fastest VPNs by looking for those that use speed-friendly protocols such as WireGuard. It’s no coincidence that all of these VPNs offer unlimited bandwidth as well.
- Unblocking: The priority is to find VPNs that are able to bypass the Hulu proxy error. However, we also looked for them to unblock other popular streaming services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. While some countries such as China censor social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter), the aforementioned VPNs are able to unblock them.
- Security: One of the main benefits of using a VPN is improved online security. The most secure VPNs encrypt your data, hiding it from hackers and snoopers alike. We look for a VPN to use encryption as well as offer DNS leak protection and a kill switch. Some even offer extras, be it a Windows antivirus or Double VPN servers.
- Privacy: It’s little good if a VPN offers the above security features but keeps identifying logs of its users. These may be shared with third parties or stolen by hackers. Any privacy-advocating VPN will operate a no-logs policy. We’ve studied more than 140 VPN logging policies in order to find those that best protect your privacy.
- Ease of use: You likely want to be able to quickly and easily fix the Hulu proxy error without extra hassle. With this in mind, we’ve identified VPNs that provide user-friendly apps for desktop and mobile. Most also offer convenient browser extensions. All can be set up in a minute or two and include live chat and email support should you need help.
- Value for money: Some VPNs fail to offer much of the above yet are actually more expensive. We believe that we’ve found the best balance in terms of features offered and value for money. In all cases, VPN discount coupons are available so you can get an even better deal. The VPNs also include money-back guarantees of at least 30 days.
Take a look at our VPN testing methodology post if you’d like to learn more about our process when it comes to analyzing VPNs.
Fix Hulu proxy error: FAQs
Why does Hulu ban VPN IP addresses?
In order to respect licensing agreements, Hulu attempts to determine your geographical location by examining your IP address. Hulu is only available in the US which means you must have a US IP address to access it. Aside from blocking IP addresses from other countries, Hulu may ban VPN IP addresses. If it sees multiple users all sharing the same IP address, it’s likely this is a shared VPN IP address. It then blacklists the IP address to protect its content.
Can I use a free VPN to fix the Hulu proxy error?
Unfortunately, most free VPNs won’t be able to fix the Hulu proxy error. Free VPNs don’t offer many IP addresses and the few that are available tend to be shared by many users. These IP addresses quickly become blacklisted by Hulu. Furthermore, such heavy load results in slow speeds. So even if you did find a free VPN that was able to bypass the Hulu proxy error, chances are it would be too slow for streaming. This results in lag and frequent buffering.
What can I watch on Hulu?
With a Hulu subscription you can watch a wide range of TV shows and movies including Hulu Originals. Note that with a Hulu + Live TV subscription, you can live stream cable TV channels including ABC, FOX, and TBS.
Here are some of the most popular titles currently available for streaming:
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Come and Find Me
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Home Alone
- Pearl Harbor
- The Book Thief
- Safe House
- The Help
Is it legal to use a VPN to unblock Hulu?
Using a VPN service to disguise your location goes against Hulu’s Terms and Conditions but it’s not illegal. It reserves the right to suspend or terminate your account should it deem it necessary. However, there’s no precedent of Hulu banning VPN user accounts that we know of. Instead, Hulu may block the VPN IP address in question. However, you can simply connect to a different server to change your IP address and continue streaming as normal.