Sling TV is at the forefront of TV streaming services today. A Sling TV subscription provides you with a wide selection of live TV shows and videos on demand. However, the service is only available within the United States. Even if your subscription is in order, you won’t be able to access Sling TV outside the US. But rest assured, there are ways around that limitation. The key is to use a VPN to gain a US IP address.
Not all VPN providers work with Sling TV, but VyprVPN is one of the ones that do. However, you may need to check a few things and make some tweaks to get up and running. Don’t worry though, it’s all pretty straightforward, and we’ll go through all of the common issues and their fixes step by step in this article. So read on to find out how to get Sling TV working with VyprVPN.
Why isn’t VyprVPN letting me access Sling TV?
Sling TV’s agreement with rights holders requires it to restrict its service to the United States. This is called geo-blocking, and most, if not all, legal streaming services are bound by similar terms.
If you connect to a VyprVPN server in the United States, your ISP-assigned IP address will be replaced by a US IP address. From then on, when your device’s request hits Sling TV’s servers, it will appear to be coming from the US. This will bypass the geographical restrictions, and if all goes well, you can stream Sling TV from anywhere in the world.
Accessing streaming sites via a VPN typically involves some trial and error. So, if you’re having trouble getting Sling TV to work over VyprVPN, it’s likely for one of the reasons listed here.
Common issues when trying to access Sling TV with VyprVPN:
- You’re connected to a VyprVPN VPN server not located in the United States. If you don’t connect to a US-based VPN server, you wont have a US IP address and won’t be able to stream Sling TV.
- Sling TV knows the IP address you’ve been assigned belongs to a VPN server, so it has blocked your connection.
- Sling TV previously placed a cookie in your app or browser. These cookies can reveal your actual location causing Sling TV to block your connection.
- You could also be leaking DNS, which would expose your original (non-US) DNS servers’ IP address(es). ISPs assign their DNS servers to customers by default. If those servers don’t have a US IP address, Sling TV won’t work.
We can easily fix all of these issues, and we explain how below.
How to fix VyprVPN not working with Sling TV
If you’re struggling with any of the issues listed above, don’t worry, they can all be fixed. Just follow these troubleshooting steps to get back up and running.
Here’s how to fix common issues with Sling TV not working with VyprVPN:
- Be sure to connect to a US-based VyprVPN VPN server. If you’ve verified that you’re connected to a US server, then try a different server (still US-based). It may be that the IP address of the first US server you tried has already been blocked.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies.
- Enable private/incognito mode in your browser, or try another web browser.
- Try running a DNS leak test to make sure you’re not leaking DNS. Follow the link to learn how to do this – it’s not complicated.
- VyprVPN supports split tunneling on macOS and Android via its Smart VPN feature. With split tunneling, you decide which applications go through the VPN tunnel and which go through your ISP gateway. If you’re using a macOS or Android device, you should ensure the feature is either disabled or that you haven’t configured your browser/app to go through your ISP gateway. You can check this inside VyprVPN’s app.
- Restart your device.
- Restart the VyprVPN app.
You should now be able to access Sling TV through VyprVPN successfully. still having problems try contacting the customer support team for further advice. If you’re still struggling, consider trying a different VPN provider. We particularly recommend NordVPN, but you can find other quality options in our Best VPNs for Sling TV article.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR SLING TV RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Sling TV with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you, and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to sign into Sling TV with VyprVPN
Once you’ve found a working US-based VyprVPN VPN server, it’s easy to sign in and use Sling TV.
- If you haven’t done so yet, sign up for a VyprVPN subscription. It provides a 30-day money-back guarantee, so there’s no risk.
- Download and install the VyprVPN app for your device.
- Sign in to the VyprVPN app and connect to a US-based server.
- Go to the Sling TV website – it should now work.
- If it doesn’t, follow the steps above.
VyprVPN & Sling TV FAQ
Which are the best VPN providers to stream Sling TV?
Not all VPNs are going to work with streaming sites. Some support almost every streaming site, while others support just a few. And others just don’t support streaming at all. So you want to sign-up for a VPN service that explicitly supports streaming sites. Below are some of the providers we recommend:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Sling TV. It offers excellent privacy, security, and speed to its customers. It also supports practically every streaming service you can think of.
- Surfshark: Another VPN provider that provides great streaming support. It’s also one of the cheapest subscriptions you can find for a reputable VPN service. Surfshark boasts low prices, extensive streaming support, and a large VPN network with many servers to choose from.
- ExpressVPN: A VPN provider we highly recommend for streaming and more. It has excellent privacy and security practices while supporting most streaming sites too.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost is another good choice. It offers top-notch streaming support, a vast server network, and beginner-friendly apps.
- IPVanish: While IPVanish may not be as well-known as other VPN providers on our list, it nonetheless works very well with many streaming sites and allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
What can I watch with Sling TV?
Sling TV offers a massive selection of live TV shows and on-demand content. Below we list some of the available channels:
Are there any free VPN services that work with Sling TV?
There won’t be very many. Even if you find a free VPN that works, remember that the vast majority of free VPNs tend to have extremely small server networks. That translates to large numbers of users on the same VPN servers. That slows down the service and increases the odds of having those IP addresses blocked by streaming services.
You should also consider that most free VPNs have low speeds and questionable security practices, with some going so far as logging user data to sell to third parties.
How does Sling TV know I’m using a VPN?
Sling TV might know you’re using a VPN when it gets your IP address. You’re assigned an IP address when you go out on the internet, whether on VPN or not. Sling TV will keep a list of IP addresses known to belong to VPN servers and will block traffic coming from those.
It will also look out for certain signs that imply you are using a VPN. For example, when a significant amount of traffic comes from the same IP address, Streaming services will interpret that as a sign that a VPN (or a proxy server) is being used.
If this happens, don’t worry just switch to another US server until you find one that is working.
Will using a VPN slow down my connection?
Yes, it will. There’s just no way around that. A VPN sits between your device and the internet, causing your connection to make an extra hop to get to its destination, so your connection’s latency increases. Higher latency translates to lower speeds. Additionally, all of the data needs to be encrypted and decrypted, which also slows things down.
But with a good VPN provider, the slowdown shouldn’t be very noticeable (if at all). So, choose a fast VPN provider that will limit the effect on your connection.
Can I install VyprVPN on my router instead of using the app?
Not all VPN providers support routers. But VyprVPN does.
Configuring a VPN connection on your router brings you two significant advantages:
- You can connect your devices to VPN without a dedicated app. All you need to do is connect to the router, and your traffic will go through the VPN.
- You can bypass your VPN provider’s limit on simultaneous connections (VyprVPN limits this to five simultaneous connections). With the VPN setup on the router, you can connect as many devices as you like to your router, and it will only count as a single connection as far as your provider is concerned.
You can look at our guide on VPN routers if you want more information and instructions on the subject.
Is it legal to use a VPN to watch Sling TV?
Yes, it’s legal to use a VPN to watch Sling TV, but it does go against Sling TV’s terms of service, which state that Sling TV should only be accessed from within the United States. So if Sling TV suspects you of trying to access Sling TV from outside the United States with a VPN, it will block your connection. It’s unlikely that Sling TV would ban your account for attempting to connect from outside the US. But blocking your access will be fair game.
Does VyprVPN keep any logs?
Your online activities are safe with VyprVPN, but if you’re still unsure, check out our complete VyprVPN review for more details.
Will my ISP know if I’m using a VPN?
Yes, your ISP will know you’re using a VPN. Below, we’ve listed what your ISP will know about your VPN use:
- That you’re using a VPN
- The VPN provider
- The port and VPN protocol you’re using
- Your connection times
- Your consumed bandwidth
And because you’re using your ISP’s network, there’s no way to hide the above from your ISP.
However, your ISP won’t see the websites you visit, the videos you stream, the files you download, or your DNS requests (as long as you’re not leaking DNS).