On vacation? Chances are you’ve encountered a streaming error such as the following:
“Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available outside the US.”
If you have a Hulu account and want to continue accessing it as usual, you’ll need to get a US IP address, which you can get with the help of a Virtual Private Network, or VPN for short.
A VPN is a service through which you can connect to a server in your home country. This changes your IP address and makes it look as if you’re in that location, even if you’ve traveled overseas. You can then continue to stream Hulu as normal. However, it should be noted that not every VPN works with Hulu. This includes PureVPN, which is inconsistent at best with the streaming service. If PureVPN isn’t working with Hulu right now, read on to find out what you can do.
Why isn’t PureVPN working with Hulu?
Hulu doesn’t own exclusive worldwide rights for all of the content it offers. Instead, rights are often shared by many broadcast and cable networks and streaming services across different countries. To respect these licensing agreements, Hulu ensures its content can’t be accessed outside the USA.
PureVPN has worked with Hulu in the past but it didn’t work in our most recent test. Regardless, it’s still useful to know how to test it in the event that it does start working again (the situation can change on short notice). If PureVPN isn’t working with Hulu, it’s likely for one of the following reasons:
- You’re not connected to a server in the US. This is necessary in order for you to get a US IP address and unblock Hulu.
- Hulu still remembers your previous IP address (and thus your non-US location) due to a cookie stored on your browser.
- The IP address you’ve been assigned has already been identified as belonging to a VPN and has been blocked by Hulu.
Here’s how to fix PureVPN not working with Hulu:
- First, make sure you’re connected to a server in the US and that you have a US IP address.
- Next, clear your browser’s cookies to ensure Hulu forgets your previous location.
- Select your preferred Hulu content. This should play without any further restriction.
Remember, you may need to try more than one server, clearing your cookies before each new access attempt. If you still can’t get PureVPN working with Hulu, PureVPN’s customer support may be able to provide further assistance (such as recommending a specific server).
How to sign in to Hulu with NordVPN
Unfortunately, PureVPN doesn’t work with Hulu at the time of writing. However, NordVPN has proven to be much more consistent and is the best VPN for Hulu. Regardless of the VPN you use, the process of signing in to Hulu is much the same.
Here’s how you can sign in to Hulu using NordVPN:
- Sign up with NordVPN. This is quick, easy, and risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download and install the VPN app for your device’s operating system. NordVPN allows up to six simultaneous connections.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in the US. You’ll then have a US IP address for accessing Hulu.
- Go to Hulu via its website or app and open a video. This should play without issue.
- Blocked? Clear your browser’s cookies. Failing this, try another server or contact NordVPN’s customer support for further assistance.
TRY THE TOP VPN FOR HULU RISK-FREE
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Hulu with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
PureVPN with Hulu: FAQs
What can I watch on Hulu?
The Hulu streaming service has on-demand and live TV plans for you to choose from. Below are some of the TV shows you can stream on-demand as well as some of the most popular channels:
How does Hulu know if I’m using a VPN?
Your streaming device has an IP address which is a string of numbers used to identify the device and its approximate location. When you access Hulu, it looks at your IP address to determine whether you’re in the US or not. While you can use a VPN to change your IP address, it doesn’t always work. If Hulu sees a lot of traffic coming from the same IP address (multiple users on the same VPN server), it blocks the IP address in question.
Are there any free VPNs that work with Hulu?
No, free VPNs generally don’t work with streaming services such as Hulu. They attract many users to their servers which generally means their IP addresses are quickly identified and blacklisted by Hulu. Furthermore, most free VPNs throttle your bandwidth, which means slower speeds and streams that suffer from low resolution and buffering. We also don’t recommend free VPNs due to their logging of data and the resulting compromise on privacy.