The Netflix catalog varies around the world due to licensing agreements. This means you’ll need a VPN to stream your home catalog abroad. Unfortunately, Netflix has blocked most VPNs, but we tested the market and found some that work.
The good news is that Ivacy subscribers are in luck. Although it is not the best VPN for Netflix, it still works consistently to access Netflix US, UK, Australia, Canada, Germany, France, and Japan. That means you can use Ivacy to stream those Netflix regions abroad.
If you are an Ivacy subscriber having issues watching Netflix abroad, this guide will help. We have provided troubleshooting tips to fix Netflix with Ivacy. Scroll down to learn why Ivacy isn’t working and to get back to streaming Netflix from anywhere.
Why isn’t my VPN working with Netflix?
Streaming platforms like Netflix work hard to block VPNs. They do this to comply with licensing agreements made with content producers and copyright holders. If an IP address is found to belong to a VPN, Netflix will blacklist it. As a result, using this VPN will cause the dreaded Netflix VPN proxy error:
“You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.”
If you experience the error message above, it is possible that your VPN has already been blocked by Netflix. Under these circumstances, you may need to cancel your account and take out a subscription with one of our recommendations instead.
Thankfully, if you are an Ivacy subscriber, you don’t need to worry about this message. We have provided a list of tips later in this guide that will let you fix the Netflix proxy error on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.
If you are already subscribed to Ivacy (or some other VPN that is supposed to work with Netflix), it might not be working for one of the reasons below:
- That specific Ivacy IP address has been blacklisted by Netflix.
- Your device’s GPS location and IP address do not match.
- Netflix has stored a cookie on your device that tells it where you really are.
- Your real IP address is leaking and the VPN is failing to conceal your location.
- The server you’re using is not compatible with Netflix.
How to use Ivacy to watch Netflix abroad?
If you are new to VPNs, you may be unsure how to use Ivacy to watch Netflix abroad. To help you out, we have outlined all the steps below.
Here’s how to use Ivacy to watch Netflix abroad:
- Choose a VPN that works to watch Netflix abroad. Ivacy is fine, but we recommend NordVPN if you want the best option. Alternatively, Surfshark is the best cheap VPN for Netflix.
- Follow the link to your preferred VPN for Netflix. Our link will let you subscribe to the VPN at the lowest possible cost.
- Subscribe to the VPN and download the VPN app. Our recommendations have apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. This will let you stream Netflix on any device.
- Install the VPN app for your device and log in.
- Pick a server in the US, the UK, Japan, Australia, Canada, Germany, or France (these are the catalogs supported by Ivacy, but if you have subscribed to one of our top recommendations, you will have even more options!)
As soon as your VPN connects, you can stream Netflix from abroad. If you have any problem watching Netflix with Ivacy, simply follow the troubleshooting tips below to fix it.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR NETFLIX RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month. This is ideal if you want to stream your favorite shows on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t suitable for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
What problems occur when using Ivacy to watch Netflix?
In addition to the proxy error message described earlier in this guide, Ivacy account holders sometimes experience other issues. Below, we have provided a list of problems that you might be experiencing:
- Unable to find a specific TV show or movie that should be available in that regional catalog.
- Can only stream Netflix Originals when an Ivacy connection is established.
- Being redirected to a different Netflix library than the one you asked for.
- Getting a message that says “Incorrect password. Please try again or you can reset your password” when connected to Ivacy.
- Netflix is showing “Title not available for playback” or “We’re having trouble playing this title right now” when you try to watch a video with Ivacy.
- Completely unable to access the Netflix website.
- VPN is causing a lot of buffering and low-quality video playback.
No matter which of these problems you are having, we have provided the fixes below. Just work your way through our tips, and you will be able to start streaming Netflix from anywhere using Ivacy!
How to fix Ivacy with Netflix
To get you back up and running, we have provided fixes for all Ivany Netflix problems below.
Ivacy is causing buffering on Netflix
If you are managing to access Netflix with Ivacy, but your problem is that the VPN is causing poor-quality video playback and buffering, it is possible that you need a faster VPN.
Unfortunately, Ivacy is not on our recommended list of VPNs for Netflix. This means that you may need to switch to an alternative provider that has fast Tier-1 servers designed for data-intensive tasks like streaming.
With that said, there is no reason to give up hope yet. There are a few things you can try to get Ivacy working faster with Netflix:
- Connect to a VPN server that is physically closer to you. Ivacy works with Netflix USA, UK, Japan, Australia, Canada, Germany, and France. Using a server closer to you will provide better performance. For example, you should try a US server on the East or West coast depending on where you are in the world.
- Ask Ivacy which server is optimized for streaming Netflix.
- Try changing the VPN protocol in your VPN application. We recommend WireGuard, OpenVPN UDP, or IKEv2. However, you can also try PPTP. (Ivacy provides PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, IKEv2, IP-Sec, OpenVPN, and WireGuard. You are free to test them all to see what works best for you.)
Ivacy not working with Netflix
If your problem is more severe and Ivacy is causing the proxy error message – or is failing to unblock Netflix in some other way, simply work through the troubleshooting tips below.
Here’s how to fix Ivacy not working with Netflix:
- Restart your computer, restart the Ivacy VPN application, and launch your browser again.
- Try re-installing Ivacy to ensure it is up-to-date.
- Clear the cookies and cache in your browser.
- Try connecting to a different VPN server location (check with Ivacy).
- Try a different browser.
- Ask Ivacy which US server (or which other location) works with Netflix.
- Check that DNS leak protection is enabled. Ivacy enables it by default. However, Ivacy does have some virtual server locations that could cause DNS configuration issues. So check which server is better to use if you are having problems.
- Try using an alternate VPN protocol.
- Switch to streaming on a desktop PC or laptop rather than a mobile device.
- Disable GPS in your browser and on your device.
The tips above will fix most Netflix problems experienced on Ivacy. If you still encounter problems, we strongly recommend that you contact the 24/7 live chat support. Ivacy agents are very helpful and can help with most issues.
Which VPNs still work with Netflix?
Although Ivacy works, it is not the best VPN to watch Netflix abroad. To give you a clear picture of which VPNs we recommend for Netflix, we have provided our list below:
Best VPNs to watch Netflix abroad:
- NordVPN: Our #1 VPN for Netflix. Works with Netflix US, UK, Australia, Japan, Canada, and around 15 more. One of the fastest VPNs available for streaming. Very secure. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN for Netflix. A reliable way to stream Netflix from anywhere. Provides super-fast WireGuard connections.
- ExpressVPN: A fast VPN that is excellent for gaining online privacy and security. Works with around 20 Netflix libraries.
- CyberGhost: Works well with Netflix. Apps are suitable for beginners. Has a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- PrivateVPN: Impressive speeds and apps for all platforms that work to access 20+ Netflix regions.
- IPVanish: Works with US and UK Netflix on desktop, Android, and iOS.
- AtlasVPN: A low-cost VPN that is good for streaming. Fast WireGuard connections. Works well with various Netflix regions.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix abroad?
No. Although a few free VPNs are available in app stores, these will not work to watch Netflix. Free VPNs have very few servers that are massively oversubscribed. This causes those VPNs to be blocked by Netflix very quickly. It also makes them very slow, which makes it impossible to watch videos with buffering.
In addition to the performance issues you will experience, free VPNs are a massive risk to your online privacy and security. Free VPNs have invasive privacy policies that allow them to track you for profiling purposes. As a result, free VPNs will sell your online habits and data to third parties such as advertisers and data brokers.
In addition to tracking their users, free VPNs suffer from data leaks, have app and server vulnerabilities, provide substandard security with weak encryption, and even conceal spyware in their apps. This makes free VPNs extremely risky for your online safety.