FuboTV is region-locked due to licensing restrictions. If you try to watch it abroad without a VPN, you will get a location error. Unfortunately, not all VPNs work to watch FuboTV abroad. You must pick a VPN carefully.
If you have already subscribed to a VPN for Fubo TV that has US IPs tested by us, you should be able to watch FuboTV abroad. That said, there are a few reasons why your VPN might not be working. Luckily, these are pretty easy to fix!
In this guide, we will give you troubleshooting tips to get your VPN up and running. We will explain why your VPN might fail to unblock FuboTV, and we will give you a list of solutions to get you streaming as soon as possible.
Why isn’t my VPN working with FuboTV?
Streaming services like FuboTV work hard to block VPNs, they do this to prevent subscribers from streaming outside of the licensed region. As a result, FuboTV will serve you the following error when you try to stream while connected to the VPN:
“Your IP address cannot be used to access fuboTV content. If you are using a VPN or other kind of proxy service, please disable it.”
Unfortunately, if you receive the message above while connected to a US VPN server, it is possible that your VPN has already been blacklisted by FuboTV. Under these circumstances, you may not be able to fix your VPN, which means you might need to switch providers.
Of course, you are welcome to run through the troubleshooting tips in this guide to be absolutely certain that your VPN doesn’t work. If you exhaust every possibility, you will need to switch to a FuboTV VPN known to consistently unblock Fubo TV abroad.
If, on the other hand, you have already subscribed to a VPN that works with Fubo TV, you can use the tips in this guide to solve the FuboTV proxy error.
Below, we have included some of the reasons why your VPN might not be working to watch FuboTV:
- The VPN server IP address has been blacklisted by FuboTV
- Your device’s GPS location and IP address do not match.
- FuboTV has stored a cookie on your device that tells it you are outside of the US.
- Your real IP address is leaking and the VPN is failing to conceal your location.
- The server you’re using is not compatible with FuboTV.
How to use a VPN to watch FuboTV abroad?
If you are new to VPNs, you may simply be wondering how to use a VPN to unblock FuboTV on vacation. If this is your main issue, you can follow the steps below to start streaming right away:
- Choose a VPN that works to watch FuboTV abroad. We recommend NordVPN because it is fast, secure, and reliable. Alternatively, you can try Surfshark, which is fast and cheap. Or ExpressVPN, which is a touch pricey but an excellent all-rounder.
- Follow the link to your preferred VPN for FuboTV. Our link will allow you to subscribe for the lowest possible price thanks to our exclusive coupon deals.
- Subscribe to your preferred VPN for FuboTV and download the VPN app. Our recommendations have apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. This will let you stream FuboTV on any device.
- Install the VPN app for your device and log in.
- Connect to a VPN server in the US and launch FuboTV via the app or in your browser.
As soon as your VPN connects, you will be able to stream your FuboTV account from abroad. If you have any problem watching FuboTV, just follow the troubleshooting tips below to fix any issues and get it working.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR FUBOTV RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for FuboTV with no restrictions for a month. This is ideal if you want to stream your favorite shows on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t suitable for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
What problems occur when using a VPN for FuboTV?
Below we have included some of the common problems that people experience when trying to watch FuboTV with a VPN:
- Proxy/VPN error message
- Location error message
- Unable to watch a particular network
- Lots of lag and buffering
- Poor quality video playback
How to fix a VPN with FuboTV
To help you out we have included fixes for all the known problems below.
Slow VPN causing buffering on FuboTV
If your main issue is that your VPN is causing poor-quality video playback and a lot of buffering, it is possible that you need a faster VPN.
Unfortunately, if your current VPN is not on our recommended list of VPNs for FuboTV, you may need to switch to an alternative provider.
If you are experiencing problems caused by a slow VPN connection, try the fixes below:
- Connect to a US server that is physically closer. We recommend testing servers on the East or West coast depending on where you are. Remember, a server closer to you will be faster.
- Ask your VPN provider which US server is optimized for streaming.
- Try changing the VPN protocol in your VPN application. We recommend WireGuard, OpenVPN UDP, or IKEv2.
VPN not working with Fubo TV
If your problem is more severe, and your VPN can’t unblock FuboTV at all, then you will need to work through our troubleshooting tips. The good news is that as long as you have subscribed to one of our recommended VPNs, the tips below will get it working!
Here’s how to fix VPN not working with FuboTV:
- Restart your computer, restart the VPN application, and launch your browser again.
- Try re-installing the VPN to ensure it is up-to-date.
- Clear the cookies and cache in your browser.
- Try connecting to a different US VPN server.
- Try a different browser.
- Ask your VPN which US server works with US streaming services like FuboTV.
- Check that DNS leak protection is enabled in the application.
- Try using an alternate VPN protocol.
- Switch to streaming on a desktop PC or laptop rather than a mobile device.
- Disable geo-location/location sharing in your browser and on your device.
The tips above should allow you to fix most problems, preventing a VPN from unblocking FuboTV. If you still encounter problems, it is an excellent idea to contact your VPN’s customer support. All our recommendations have email and live chat support that is available around the clock.
Which VPNs still work with FuboTV?
If you want to know which VPNs work with FuboTV we suggest checking out our full guide. For anybody who is in a hurry, we have included a quick list below:
Best VPNs to watch FuboTV outside the US:
- NordVPN: #1 VPN for FuboTV. Fast servers in 15 US cities. Works with FuboTV, Netflix, and more. Allows six simultaneous connections. Strong encryption and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Cheapest VPN for FuboTV. Allows an unlimited number of connections with a single account. Super-fast WireGuard protocol. Easy to use on all platforms. No-logs policy. Works to access FuboTV, Netflix, Hulu, and more. Many advanced features.
- CyberGhost: Best FuboTV VPN for beginners. US servers work to unblock FuboTV. Strong security with 256-bit encryption and a watertight no-logs policy. Allows 7 simultaneous connections. Works with Netflix.
- ExpressVPN: High-speed servers in 94 countries, including the US. Works with FuboTV and two dozen Netflix catalogs. Includes 24/7 live chat support. Advanced apps for all platforms.
- IPVanish: A US-based VPN that works with FuboTV. Servers in over a dozen US cities. Allows any limitless simultaneous connections. Strong encryption and a no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: A fast VPN that is great for torrenting and streaming.. Works with FuboTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and many more. Connect up to 10 devices. Protect your privacy with a kill switch and obfuscation. No-logs policy.
- Atlas VPN: Great for streaming. Low cost and easy to use. Works with FuboTV and Prime Video. High-speed servers and WireGuard protocol.
Can I use a free VPN to watch FuboTV?
No. Although some free VPNs are available on the market, we recommend staying away from them for a number of reasons.
Free VPNs have very few servers, and these are overburdened with thousands of free users that stumble on the service. This makes the VPN much too slow for streaming HD video content, in turn causing buffering issues.
In addition to being slow, the lack of servers that free VPNs have means they are very easy to spot and block. As a result, streaming services like Fubo TV find it trivial to block those VPNs. Unfortunately, this means that we have yet to find a free VPN compatible with FuboTV.
In addition to these performance problems, free VPNs are not suitable for gaining online privacy and security. Free VPNs have invasive privacy policies that allow them to monitor what you do while connected to the VPN. This allows the VPN to snoop on you for profiling purposes, and they will sell your data to third parties such as marketing companies and data brokers. This is the opposite of what a VPN should do.
Studies have also revealed that free VPNs have weak encryption, serious data leaks, server and app vulnerabilities, and even apps purposely loaded with spyware. Needless to say, this makes using free VPNs a massive risk to the health of your devices and your data privacy.