If you’ve traveled abroad (outside the UK) and tried to stream Now, you’ve probably encountered a message such as this:
“We’re sorry, this isn’t currently available to watch on your device at the moment, due to rights restrictions.”
These rights restrictions mean that Now has to restrict access to its content, even if you’re from the UK and have a Now subscription. For this reason, many people choose to use a VPN such as IPVanish in order to continue streaming their favorite Sky channels. However, there’s no guarantee any one VPN will always work without a hitch. If IPVanish isn’t working with Now for you, don’t worry. There are a few things you can try to get streaming again.
Why isn’t IPVanish working with Now?
Now only has the rights to show its content in the UK. Its content is geo-blocked in other countries. IPVanish usually works with Now TV when we test it, but you may encounter the occasional issue.
Below, we list the three most common reasons why IPVanish might not be working with Now:
- It may be as simple as not being connected to a server in the right country. Now is only available in the UK, so only connecting to a UK server will do.
- Now may remember your previous IP address due to a cookie stored on your browser. If this is assigned to a location outside the UK, content stays blocked.
- Even if you’re connected to a UK server and have cleared your cookies, the VPN IP address you’re using may have already been blacklisted by Now.
Here’s how to fix IPVanish not working with Now:
- The first step is to clear your browser’s cookies. That way, you can be sure Now doesn’t remember you from a previous visit.
- If Now still doesn’t work, you’ll then need to try a different UK VPN server. Repeat the first step of clearing your cookies before switching servers to get a new UK IP address.
- Try as many UK VPN servers as you can. You may find one that works. If not, your VPN’s customer support may be able to recommend one that does.
- Last but not least, you can always try another VPN. Our list of the best VPNs for Now TV includes NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF IPVANISH
IPVanish is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use one of the best VPNs for Now with no restrictions for a month – perfect if you need time to make a decision.
There are no hidden terms – just contact support within 30 days if you decide IPVanish isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your IPVanish trial here.
How to sign in to NowTV with IPVanish
If you’re not sure how to use IPVanish with Now in the first place, here’s a quick overview of how you can get started:
- Sign up with IPVanish if you don’t yet have an account. It’s risk-free because it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- You’ll now be able to download and install the VPN on your streaming device. IPVanish apps are available for desktop and mobile operating systems.
- Open the VPN app, enter your login credentials, and connect to a server in the UK. You’ll now have a UK IP address for accessing Now from abroad.
- Go to Now and sign in to your account. Select your preferred channel for streaming. It should play without any further restrictions.
- Still blocked? Take a look at our solutions on how to fix this further above in this post. We particularly recommend you try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies.
IPVanish with NowTV: FAQs
Why do streaming services region-lock their content?
Streaming services such as Now, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix are subject to copyright and licensing restrictions. In the case of Now, it only has the right to show its content in the UK. In order to enforce this and avoid any legal trouble, it ensures its platform’s content is region-locked. The result is streams that don’t start, usually accompanied by an error message of some sort.
Of course, this is no good if you’re from the UK, have gone on vacation, and can’t access your Now account as a result. Indeed, it was perfectly possible to stream Now across the EU before Brexit. Because of these geographic restrictions, some people decide to use a VPN to access Now. With IPVanish, you can continue streaming Now as normal while enjoying extra security such as encryption.
What can I watch on Now?
Now is a contract-free streaming service operated by Sky. As such, there’s no shortage of Sky channels you can stream with your Now subscription without being locked into a contract. Here’s an idea of what you’ll be able to watch:
- Sky Atlantic
- Sky Cinema
- Sky Sports Football
- Sky Witness
- Sky Sports News
- Sky Max
- Sky Sports Action
- Sky One
- Sky Crime
- Sky Nature
- True Blood (Sky Atlantic)
- The Midwich Cuckoos (Sky Max)
- The Office (Sky Comedy)
- Framing Britney Spears (Sky Documentaries)
- Grey’s Anatomy (Sky Witness)
- Peep Show (Gold)
- Twin Peaks (Sky Atlantic)
- Teen Mom UK (MTV)
- CSI: Vegas (Alibi)
- Britain’s Most Evil Killers (Sky Crime)
How does Now know if I’m using a VPN?
Every device that connects to the internet is assigned a string of numbers and decimals known as an IP address. This unique number is linked to your online activity and provides websites and services with your geolocation. Connecting to a VPN should solve the problem. However, if Now spots an unusual amount of traffic from a single IP address, it’s likely to identify it as coming from a VPN and block it as a result.
Are there any free VPNs that work with Now?
We’ve found free VPNs to be very unreliable when it comes to accessing and streaming Now. Many of their IP addresses don’t work with the streaming platform having already been blacklisted. Besides, free VPNs simply aren’t suitable for streaming. Most servers suffer from heavy load while free VPN services engage in bandwidth throttling in an attempt to manage this. As such, you can expect stuttering and low resolution streams (if it even works at all!).